Registration for the 2017 Ohio HS Team Figure Skating Championships is now open. The Championships will be held February 11-12, 2017 at the Thornton Park Ice Arena, 3301 Warrensville Center Road, Shaker Heights OH 44122.
Download the announcement at http://www.clevelandskating.com/wp-content/uploads/OHHSannouncement2017.pdf
Two important events are approaching soon. Skate Cleveland applications are due by midnight on August 1. Download the announcement at http://www.clevelandskating.com/competitions/skate-cleveland/. Register online at http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=311.
Basic Skills skaters are invited to celebrate their achievements at the Basic Skills Award Party on Sunday August 7, 1:00-3:00pm at the Pond. There will be a FREE on ice clinic and medals will be awarded to top series finishers. Top finishers must be present to receive their medals. Afterwards there will be an open skate and pizza party. All Basic Skills skaters are invited to attend.
The deadline for entry for Kent’s Skating for Skills Competition is Wednesday, January 27. The announcement can be found at: http://www.clevelandskating.com/basic-skills/skating-skills/.
The Cleveland Invitational Championships (CICs) will be held March 18-20 this year in North Olmsted. The entry deadline is February 15. Critiques will be available. The IJS events will have a National technical panel, including:
- Ann Barr – National Technical Specialist
- Stephanie Lab – National Technical Specialist
- Nancy Iida – National Controller, Data and Video
- Todd Bromley – National Controller and Video
- Rick Kern – National Controller and Video
CICs is a designated Solo Dance Series competition offering solo dance events judged by dance competition judges and Gold/ International dance test judges. The announcement can be found at: http://www.clevelandskating.com/competitions/cleveland-invitational/
Information on all area competitions can be found on our website at http://www.clevelandskating.com/competitions
We are proud to announce that the following area skaters qualified to skate in the 2015 National Solo Dance Series Final Competition, September 23-26 in Lansing Michigan.
Representing Strongsville Skating Club:
- Giulia Paolino
- Fiona Bodem
- Eva Pate
- Marissa Ulchaker
Representing Pavilion Skating Club of Cleveland Heights:
- Micah Jaffe
Congratulations skaters! We all wish you the very best of luck.
The SFSC will be hosting a Fall Preview for skaters who will be participating in fall competitions. The Preview will take place on Thursday October 1, 2015 from 7:00 pm until 8:30 pm at Thornton Park Ice Arena.
Cost is $10 for the first program and $5 for the second program (if time permits within priority–see below).
Submit payment in the form of a check made out to SFSC in an envelope marked “SFSC Fall Preview” in the club mailbox. Please register and pay NO LATER THAN SEPTEMBER 26, 2015. You will be notified by email if you are not able to skate one or more program in the event due to priorities.
Use this link to register: https://goo.gl/aazqn1
Priority will be given as follows:
- Home Club members going to EGL Regional Qualifying Competition
- Home Club members going to any fall non-qualifying competition prior to December 1, 2015
- SFSC Associate members going to EGL Regional Qualifying Competition
- SFSC Associate members going to any fall non-qualifying competition prior to December 1, 2015
- All other USFS skaters going to any fall competition prior to December 1, 2015
Critiques will be available for skaters going to non-qualifiying competitions ONLY
Contact Angie Chapple-Wang at email@example.com with questions.
The competition will be held at the same time as the 2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic where Senior level skaters from across the world will compete. For more information, please go to http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51325&type=media
Congratulations Tori and Christina on this opportunity and we all wish you the very best of luck.
The Greater Cleveland Council of Figure Skating Clubs will host the Non-qualifying Midwestern Invitational on November 21-22, 2015 in conjunction with the 2016 Midwestern Sectional Figure Skating Championships. Free skate events at the pre-preliminary, preliminary and pre-juvenile levels will be offered. Competition level is at the highest test passed as of October 22, 2015.
The entry fee includes the skater’s event, a DVD of the initial round group, one complimentary chaperone credential, and one complimentary coach credential which allows access to all events at both 2015 Non-qualifying Midwestern Invitational and 2016 Midwestern Sectional Figure Skating Championships. Download the full announcement.
The entry deadline is 11:59pm on October 22, 2015. Registration is only available online through http://www.entryeeze.com.
We Have You Covered – Some Thoughts on Risk Management for Clubs
As a benefit of membership, U.S. Figure Skating provides general liability insurance for all registered clubs, teams and Basic Skills programs, and sports accident coverage for all registered members. All member clubs, teams and Basic Skills programs are provided with certificates of insurance at the beginning of the policy term (July 1–June 30) indicating coverage for their sanctioned and supervised skating activities. All qualifying and nonqualifying competitions, test sessions, performances including ice shows, exhibitions and any other activity held under the direction of the club, team or program, are considered sanctioned activities.
Things to remember:
- Directors and Officers Liability Coverage – Individually and as a group, members of a nonprofit (501c3) Board of Directors are legally and morally responsible for the activities of an organization. Why should you have directors and officers coverage? Coverage provides protection for allegations of “bad decisions” or “wrongful acts.” It provides protection for issues not related to bodily injury or property damage. To learn more, please click here.
- There should never be unsupervised activities on the ice. A coach/instructor or responsible adult must supervise all skating activities.
- Prior to signing an ice contract, please have it reviewed. Send a copy of the proposed contract to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will have our insurance provider review it on your behalf.
- U.S. Figure Skating provides general liability for coaches and instructors for all skating and skating-related activities. This coverage would provide defense even if claims are false, fraudulent or groundless and claims that include libel, slander and defamation of character. To access coverage through American Specialty Insurance Services, click here.
- Claims Reporting and Sport Accident Claims – General liability claims should be reported as soon as possible. Even if you believe that a claim will not be filed, but an incident has occurred resulting in injury or property damage, it should be reported as soon as is practical. Click here to be directed to the Accident Report.
- For all insurance inquiries or questions, please contact email@example.com or contact Wells Fargo Insurance Services at 800.796.2845 for assistance at any time.
Reproduced from the August 2015 issue of U.S. Figures Skating. Clubs Matter.
Are you having trouble using the online directory? Want some tips on how to get the most out of it? Join USFS on Thursday, Aug. 20, at 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time/7 p.m. Central Daylight Time/6 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time/5 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time for a demonstration of how to use this tool.
The specific topics to be covered include:
- How to search committees
- How to search clubs
- What’s in the “Staff and Other” section
- How to search for a specific official
- How to search for groups of officials
- How to make the most of the sort and filter features
- How to create your own list of officials and use it to improve efficiency in sending invitations for tests and/or competitions
- Information about the printed directory including when it will be available and where to find it
To register, please click on the following link:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
The new website for the Midwestern Sectional Figure Skating Championships is now live at http://www.midwesternsectionals.com/. Registration for the 2016 qualifying season will open on July 15, 2015.
This year’s competition is hosted by the Greater Cleveland Council of Figure Skating Clubs. The event will be held at the OBM Arena in Strongsville on November 17-21, 2015.
Program ads are available for those who would like to advertise their business or congratulate a skater. For more information, download the Program Advertisement Form here.